Bullying is common today, especially at school. For parents, it can be especially difficult to know how to help your child. Some may feel the need to teach their child how to fight back and others want to confront the bully themselves.
Here are some helpful tips on what you can do if you child is bullied:
- Say ‘I hear you; I am here for you; I believe you; you are not alone in this.’
- Say ‘It is not your fault’.
- There are things you can do.
- Report the bullying to school personnel.
Also, it is helpful if your child has at least one good friend who they can talk to and who can help them.
Things to avoid:
- Don’t minimize, rationalize, or explain away the bully’s behaviour.
- Don’t rush in to solve the problem for your child.
- Don’t tell your child to avoid the bully.
- Don’t tell your child to fight back.
- Don’t confront the bully or the bully’s parents alone.